Thursday, December 18, 2014

Advent thoughts 17: 39

This is likely to be my only Advent post with a number instead of a word in the heading, and that's because yesterday (17th) was my birthday. My 39th birthday. A year until I'm 40.

I'll be honest - I don't want to hit 40 with my life still feel chaotic and out of control. So I've decided to embark on My Year Of Living Intentionally. Periodically I catch myself thinking 'If ever I discovered that I only had a year to live, I'd want to do...'. The details are, I think, incidental but the fact that that's how I sometimes think frustrates me - if I want to do X,Y or Z I shouldn't wait until I'm diagnosed with a terminal illness, I should just get my act together and do it.

And this seems like a good year to be intentional about those kind of things. I'm going to give myself until 1 January 2015 to formulate a plan but I've already had some ideas. I don't have a ridiculous bucket list, but there are a few things that I've often found myself thinking I'd love to do and so this is the year I'm going to try and do them.

Yes, I know there's an element of wanting to grab back some control over my life but there's also a very clear sense of wanting to say, 'You know what? I'm healthy, I have choices, I'm going to stop thinking about what I'd like to do and just get on and do it'.

No comments: