Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Advent thoughts 10: Anxiety

Today I have been mostly thinking about...

...all the same old stuff...birthdays (specifically my sister's 30th)...work...

...and what I've been thinking about has been making me anxious and anxiety makes me mean. I was not a good colleague today. Why is it that we can't limit the impact of our emotions to the people or situations to which they directly relate? It's not my colleagues' fault that preparing for this interview is stressing me out (although there is an argument to say that if I was enjoying my job more I wouldn't have applied for a new one...).

It's on days like today that I'm reminded - not for the first time - of the extent to which I fail miserably to live out of the relationship that I claim is the most important to me, the one which I like to think shapes my decision-making and gives me a sense of purpose and direction. On days like today I read a verse like this and recognise just how far I still have to travel on this journey...
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6)
So this thing works on two levels, the level of trusting God with the anxiety and the level of resisting the temptation to be mean if I fail with the anxiety thing. Fortunately, I'm not at work tomorrow so the only victim of my anxiety will be me.

No comments: