Sunday, December 14, 2014

Advent thoughts 14: Travel

Today I have been mostly thinking about...

...work...money...traffic...bereavement...family...home...

I feel like I've done a lot of travelling this term, with my weekly trips to Liverpool. Today I left Leicester early evening and travelled about 130 miles...but in the other direction. I've come back to Bromley in preparation for my interview on Wednesday.

Travel is an obvious Advent theme. Mary and Joseph travelling from Nazareth to Bethlehem, the shepherds travelling a shorter distance from their field to the stable, the wise men much further. I'm not sure today's journey had any great spiritual significance, although there's a sense in which it's another step in that ongoing quest to be the person I believe God calls me to be in the place he's calls me to be in. And that place might change as a result of what happens on Wednesday.

Who knows?


The collect for Night Prayer
O Lord Jesus Christ,
who at your first coming sent your messenger
to prepare your way before you:
grant that the ministers and stewards of your mysteries
may likewise so prepare and make ready your way
by turning the hearts of the disobedient to the wisdom of the just,
that at your second coming to judge the world
we may be found an acceptable people in your sight;
for you are alive and reign with the Father
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.

No comments: