Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Just did it

On reflection the seeds of this experiment in spontaneity were sown last Monday when a few disparate elements came together in an unexpected fashion.

Element 1: I'm the process of exploring the possibility of becoming a Baptist minister. This is requiring me to do lots of reflecting (ha!).

Element 2. At some point during March my housemate is kicking me out - she's getting married and has decided she'd rather I didn't live with her and her new husband. So selfish. Therefore I will soon be homeless.

Element 3. Aforementioned housemate has just been away for a few days at Scargill House and when she got back she mentioned that they are trying to grow a live-in community and are looking for people to join them. I think she just told me this because it was interesting, not as a subtle hint...

On Monday evening I was thinking about what the next few months might hold when it suddenly occurred to me that living in a community like that at Scargill could be a valuable way to spend the time between moving out of my current accommodation and starting my ministerial training.
So far, so reflective.

What happened next was entirely uncharacteristic. I sat down at my laptop and wrote an email to Scargill asking about the possibility of being part of their community for a few months. Just like that. No list of pros and cons, no mulling it over.

Just did it.

So far I haven't had anything other than an acknowledgement email back, but there's a very real sense in which just sending the email was as significant an achievement than anything that may or may not come out of the enquiry. Well done me.

No comments: