Friday, December 02, 2011

Value-added

Reflecting on some of the reaction I've had to recent blog posts I thought some mention of values would be helpful, not least because it's these values that will shape a lot of the praying, imagining, creating and planning that I intend to do over the next few months. They're the values that, if I have the courage, will influence my decisions about a new job, or responding to opportunities that open up.

A few years ago, while I was on the Arrow Leadership Programme, I was told to write a personal vision statement, a document which outline the values and people which were important to me and the ways in which I intended to invest in and prioritise these areas. I found it impossible. With the benefit of quite a lot of hindsight I've concluded that this was simply because I struggled to get my head around the suggested formats we were encouraged to work with, rather than because I have no values or people that are important to me!

But an interesting thing has happened in the time since Arrow. Through a fairly subconscious process of reflection, plus opportunities to explore my Myers Briggs profile, I've got to a point where I can now identify what I would consider to be my four core values. They are (drum roll please):

Relationship
Community
Transformation
Celebration

That's all I'm going to say about them for now, but I hope sharing them will begin to make sense of some of the other things I've written about recently, both for me and for you!

No comments: