So it's August bank holiday weekend, the point in the year when, on some subconscious level, summer starts to feel like it's over. The new academic year looms and, for the first time since 2004, that new beginning impacts me personally. I'm excited! And utterly terrified!
But that excitement goes beyond the prospect of studying for the first time in ten years. Life more generally feels significantly positive now than it has done at pretty much any time in the last five years. There have been great moments and even some good phases in that time, but this feels quantifiably different, and I'm really very grateful for that.
The amount of reading I've already done in preparation for my course indicates just how ready I am for the new challenge of a Masters. My brain feels like it's starting to shake off the disturbingly marshmallow-like quality it had back in the spring and I'm ready to get started!
Work is going well. I've taken on more responsibility at Just Fair Trade and I feel like I'm using my skills in a far more strategic way than I have done for some time. I'm fortunate enough to work with some excellent colleagues who challenge, stretch and encourage me. As a team we've created a sense of momentum that's been sorely lacking in recent months, maybe even years. We're developing links and building networks, physical and virtual, local, national and international, which is giving us a new perspective and understanding of what we're trying to do.
And I'm part of a family that's growing and developing all the time, exploring new things, grabbing amazing opportunities with both hands. Technology keeps me connected in genuinely meaningful ways with people I rarely, if ever, see.
So. As one phase draws to a close and another appears on the horizon, I'm prepared to stick my neck out and say that life is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment