I've blogged about the bi-annual arms fair, held at London's ExCel centre, before, but since the next one is due to take place in less than two months time it seems appropriate to flag it up again.
Last week I had dinner with friends (and former colleagues) from Custom House who have campaigned against the Defence and Security Exhibition since it began in 2001. They told me that while there are people who are planning to peacefully demonstrate at ExCel during the arms fair, there won't be anywhere near the numbers that turned out a decade ago.
Somehow, for some reason, the fact that there is a weapons trade fair in east London no longer exercises people.
It struck me as we chatted that back in 2001 - and in 2003, 2005 (and 2007 to some extent) - social media didn't exist in the way it does now. Just six years ago, it was quite possible for something like this to go under the radar (no pun intended) because it largely managed to stay out of the mainstream media.
Now there's no excuse for people not to be informed.
I'm trying to work out how I can take a stand against the arms fair and I'll endeavour to share my thoughts. For now, just letting people know it's happening is the most important thing I can do - would you help me?
No comments:
Post a Comment