Friday, February 24, 2012

Learn With Mother (and Grandma and Great Grandmother)

I had an interesting moment of clarity last week. I suddenly realised that in trying to find ways of occupying my time and possibly earning some money I'd turned not to the skills I've gained as an adult, but those I was taught as a child.

One of my earliest memories is of baking cakes with Mum. Always fairy cakes and always with water icing and sparkly sprinkles. I was probably a little older (but not by much) when I was introduced to needlework, embroidery, knitting and crochet by a combination of Mum, Grandma and my great grandma.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm not claiming to be a master craftswoman! My baking and needlework skills haven't really progressed beyond the basic principles I learnt as a child, but knowing the basics was enough to enable me to create little projects for myself, vital for keeping myself occupied as the oldest child in a large(ish) family with no TV.

Was mine a typical experience of childhood? I've no idea! But it does make me wonder how different life might have been if I hadn't been surrounded by adults who not only possessed useful and creative skills but had the time, energy and inclination to pass them on to me.

No comments: