Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Reviewing the situation

It's annual review time at work and since the organisation do them as a job lot at this time of year I had mine today, despite only having been in post two months.

Since this was my second review in six months (in two different jobs) it was fascinating to compare and contrast the two very different experiences. Today I had an hour with my line manager having filled in a comprehensive review form in advance (well, as much as I could under the circumstances). The form covered my general thoughts on how well things were going, with opportunities to reflect on things that I'd particularly enjoyed or struggled with. I was asked to comment on the specific objectives in my role profile, and on how I felt I was doing living out the values of the organisation.

Then my line manager and I talked about where the role is going - ways in which I need to develop the work I'm already doing and new opportunties to embrace. I was able to ask questions and challenge decisions, without feeling defensive or whingy. At every point I felt like this was a process genuinely designed to enable me to grow, and that it was both for my benefit and the benefit of the organisation.

Reviews can be - and indeed, should be - challenging. They should push us to engage with what we and others think is important. They should aim to change people and situations. But they should also be a celebration of the values we share and the journey we're on together. They should leave us wanting to get up and go to work. Today, that was my experience.

No comments: