Sunday, October 02, 2005

It's been a while

It's been over two weeks since I last blogged. I'm ashamed.

Anyway, it's been a funny couple of weeks. It always seems to take ages to get back into the swing of term, particularly here at Ascension when the new academic year brings with it new staff. But we're all here now. Adam the new student seems to be settling in well - working hard and already beginning to build significant relationships with young people and staff.

Our football programme restarted last week after a break for the summer and we've really hit the ground running. We've changed our structure slightly, running three training sessions for years R-3, 3-7 and 8-11 and our total numbers for the last two weeks have either equalled or exceded our top whack for last season. Like any other area of youth work, it not a numbers game, but increasing numbers do tend to indicate that you're doing something right. I wondered if we'd get some flak from parents for changing the times, but without exception people have been really positive. We're trying to think creatively about new ways in which to develop the programme so I think it's going to be a good year!

We had a three-hour activity afternoon yesterday for primary school kids. There weren't loads of kids but that was semi-deliberate since we were working with a smaller, slightly less experienced team. There was plenty going on, including baking bread(!) and I think the kids really enjoyed it. Equally importantly (from my point of view) the adults did as well. I've got a plan up my sleeve for a slightly different approach for our Christmas activity afternoon - watch this space...!

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try not to leave it so long until my next blog!

No comments: